Friday, October 10, 2014

50 Books in 2014: 36-40

I have recently realized that I do most of my reading outside of my house, rather than when I am at home. I love reading on the bus, after I've put the girls to sleep, when the studio is quiet, etc. Perhaps this is because once I get home, I am exhausted and about ready for bed. I know that I should read before bed (rather than scroll through tumblr on my phone), but it's a habit I haven't managed to break. I'm sure I would get a much better night's sleep if I fell asleep to a book rather than my phone. I'll have to start to try doing this more and see if I notice any difference.
I have another update of books that I have read towards my 50 in 2014 goal. According to GoodReads, I am ahead of schedule for this goal. I'm really excited by the thought of reaching this goal. Only ten more books from now until December 31? That sounds so easy!
Here are reviews of my five most recent reads.


1. Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice by Thea Sabin
408501
GoodReads says: "Due to the sheer number of Wicca 101 books on the market, many newcomers to the Craft find themselves piecing together their Wiccan education by reading a chapter from one book, a few pages from another. Rather than depending on snippets of wisdom to build a new faith, Wicca for Beginners provides a solid foundation to Wicca without limiting the reader to one tradition or path. Embracing both the spiritual and the practical, Wicca for Beginners is a primer on the philosophies, culture, and beliefs behind the religion, without losing the mystery that draws many students to want to learn. Detailing practices such as grounding, raising energy, visualization, and meditation, this book offers exercises for core techniques before launching into more complicated rituals and spellwork."
Average Rating: 4.09

I said: 4/5 stars, " This book is a great introduction to Wicca (which I knew very little about prior to reading). I would highly suggest this book to anyone who is interesting in learning about Wicca."


2. Design Bloggers at Home: Fresh Interiors Inspiration from Leading Online Trend Setters by Ellie Tennant
19908252
 GoodReads says: "A digital revolution is underway. A global network of creative, interior design bloggers has emerged, publishing fresh and inspiring content online every day. With diverse backgrounds and lifestyles, these individual bloggers combine to create a thriving online community of trend-setters and style gurus. In her first book, interiors journalist and stylist Ellie Tennant meets the characters and creative forces behind leading design blogs, exploring their online realms, their beautiful homes and their clever styling ideas."
Average Rating: 3.63

I said: 5/5 stars, "This book contained so many inspiring photos of homes, as well as great interviews and blogging tips. I really enjoyed reading it."


3. Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism by Betsy Greer
18528082 
GoodReads says: "Craftivism is a worldwide movement that operates at the intersection where craft and activism meet; Craftivism the book is full of inspiration for crafters who want to create works that add to the greater good. With interviews and profiles of craftivists who are changing the world with their art, and through examples that range from community embroidery projects, stitching in prisons, revolutionary ceramics, AIDS activism, yarn bombing, and crafts that facilitate personal growth, Craftivism provides imaginative examples of how crafters can be creative and altruistic at the same time."
Average Rating: 4.12

I said: 4/5 stars, "This book opened me up to an entirely different view of what it means to be an activist. It also provided some very inspiring interviews and artist bios that drive the meaning of craftivism deeper. I do wish it had provided concrete ideas for how to incorporate craftivism into one's daily life rather than expecting one to use the inspiration of what has already been done from the essays in the book."


4.   Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
5886881 
 GoodReads says: "Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars. Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back? She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find. Who did massacre the Day family?"
Average Rating: 3.89 

I said: 4/5 stars, "This book was so hard to put down (although I'll admit that I did put it down for a few weeks because it was a bit scary for me). The book is dark, but certainly worth reading. It has many unexpected twists and turns. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite some explicit dark content. "


5. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz
 386482
GoodReads says: "In The Four Agreements shamanic teacher and healer Don Miguel Ruiz exposes self-limiting beliefs and presents a simple yet effective code of personal conduct learned from his Toltec ancestors. Full of grace and simple truth, this handsomely designed book makes a lovely gift for anyone making an elementary change in life, and it reads in a voice that you would expect from an indigenous shaman."
Average Rating: 4.07

I said: 5/5 stars, "This book was short, but filled with vast wisdom. I am incredibly grateful that I have read this book. I really think that everyone should read it, and be inspired to live a life full of love and intent."
 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing blog post dear!!....


    I love your blog and the design

    keep up to good work

    come say hi over at http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/

    Jade

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic